14 Nov 2012

Energy strategy finally passed

Phone box still has 31st Oct spider over it!
After going to give my monthly report to the Whiteshill and Ruscombe Parish Council meeting on Thursday I went opn to the District Councils Exec meeting. There one of the items was the Tenants Energy Strategy.

The Energy Strategy was a recommendation in the inquiry I chaired which started 3 years ago! That got passed when I presented it to Cabinet in March 2010 but then various things led to a delay and in the  inquiry I chaired on Decent Homes Standard for housing we reiterated that call with a deadline for November this last year.....however that initial strategy did not go far enough and I am delighted that now as part of the Green, Lib Dem, Labour agreement we are moving it forward more with more funding....here was my quote after Thursday....see also for details item 9 here.

Cllr Philip Booth, who initiated and chaired the Scrutiny inquiry that led to this Energy Strategy said: "I'm delighted that we now have a way forward that reduces carbon and makes a serious start to tackle growing fuel poverty. Around 30% of our housing stock, some 1,700 homes, require major investment - and these are home to some of the most vulnerable people in our community. The impact of government changes to benefits looks set to be devastating for many; this investment will in time go someway to help a few of those hardest hit."

No comments: