12 Sept 2008

Chai Tea recipe

I've made Chai tea before with all the spices and it has come out wonderful - sadly I lost the recipe when I moved home and haven't been able to repeat the taste. Now at last I have a recipe - largely taken from Linda Cockburn's book (review here) that matches the flavour...

5 teaspoons ground cinnamon
5 teaspoons ground ginger
2 teaspoons ground cloves
3 teaspoons ground cardamom
5 allspice (pimento) berries, ground
1/2 teaspoon peppercorns
10 bay leaves
10 tablespoons black tea (I like Ridgeways Organic)

Mix ingredients together. To make enough tea for 4 place a heaped teaspoon of the mix in a litre of water and bring to boil in a pot. Let it sit for 5 minutes before straining into cups. Add milk and sugar to taste. For a milkier version boil Chai mix with milk - yum indeed.

No comments: