4 Jul 2007

Cllr Sybil Bruce

Earlier today I heard the sad news that Cllr Sybil Bruce died yesterday. Flags were a half mast at Ebley Mill today as a mark of respect.

Sybil Bruce was the former chair of Stroud District Council - spoken highly of by all parties as being excellent in her chairing and fair to all - she was a Conservative who was first elected to the Council in 1983 and was also a Gloucestershire County Councillor, Nailsworth Town Councillor, Friend of Stroud Hospital and member of the Cotswold Canals Trust.

I first met her last year when I was a newly elected councillor and she kindly invited me in to her office at Ebley Mill so that we could get to know each other better. I ended up being there two and a half hours talking non-stop together. She shared some of her thoughts about how Councils worked best and listened well when I talked about the urgency I consider that we need to give to tackling climate change.

I will miss her warmth, interest and genuine commitment to improving our communities. I wish her family well. I know she will be sorely missed.

No comments: