13 Jun 2010

Burma: my first email to our new MP

A new motion (a kind of Parliamentary petition) on Burma has been put down in the British Parliament. The Motion – HUMAN RIGHTS IN BURMA – sends best wishes to Aung San Suu Kyi, who on 19th June 2010 will be spending her 65th birthday in detention. It also calls on the British government to work with the UN to persuade Burma’s generals to enter into negotiations with Aung San Suu Kyi and ethnic groups.

Please join me in writing to your MP asking them to support Early Day Motion 112. Take action here. Below is a copy of my email to Neil Carmichael:

Dear Neil, Firstly congratulations on your election. I wasn't sure what issue to pick as my first email to you. One issue I have had a strong interest in is Burma, after I had a visit there many years ago. I have been deeply concerned that the international community has failed to take this issue seriously enough. You may well be aware that Aung San Suu Kyi will be spending her 65th birthday in detention, and has now been detained for almost 15 years. It is crucial that the British Parliament show that the world has not forgotten Aung San Suu Kyi and the people of Burma. A fake election due later this year will not bring democratic change or democracy to Burma. I hope you can join me in urging the British government and international community to support the United Nations in persuading the dictatorship to enter into negotiations with Aung San Suu Kyi and ethnic representatives. Please will you give your support for Early Day Motion 112. All the best - Philip

1 comment:

E said...

What a shame Neil hasn't replied yet, I understand that Zoya Phan, who's book Little Daughter I can't put down, received standing ovations speaking at the Conservative Party conference in 2006 and 2007 (according to Wikipedia...). Perhaps he wasn't there...