This week exciting news as the allocation of allotments in Whiteshill and Ruscombe begins following the signing of the lease - it looks like all or nearly all on the list will get a half size allotment - more of that very soon plus the meeting we had this week and first work on the site. This blog post is for those who don't have an allotment and have never grown anything before....
The One Pot Pledge is a nationwide campaign across the UK hoping to recruit 30,000 people to pledge to grow their own fruit and veg for the very first time. It is a project sponsored by Garden Organic (the organic growing charity) and they've asked bloggers to help publicise it - here's what they have to say:
Despite the surge in interest in ‘grow your own,’ many newcomers - although keen to have a go - still don’t know where to start when it comes to food growing. Many are put off because they think they don’t have space to garden, or because they don’t have the time or knowledge.
One Pot Pledge aims to:
- Get people growing food, even on a small scale in just a pot, and show them how to do it.
- Provide simple tips and advice to demonstrate how easy it is to grow your own – all you need is a pot, some compost and seeds.
- Give people the chance to connect with the food they eat and enable them to make more sustainable food choices.
- Show people they can save money by growing their own food.
- Encourage healthier eating.
See more at www.onepotpledge.org. This sounds like a great project and links well with plans next year for a Potato Day in January - see here - more on that also coming soon!