Few support the monster incinerator that could go in at Javelin Park near Stonehouse - just over the hill from us - this blog has covered many of the arguments before so I wont go there again but instead appeal for help with the petition that has been launched against the incinerator. Could you put it in your shop or business? Or collect signatures from friends or colleagues?
Photo: 'Incinerators Kill' - well I'm not convinced that this is as true as it was - latest incinerators are apparently significantly improved in terms of toxic emissions - however there are many, many reasons as to why they should not go-ahead
The petition is organised by Gloucestershire Friends of the Earth Network in consultation with others including me - it is vital we let the County know we don't want this beast - there are plenty of more sustainable options. Please download blank copies from www.glosfoe.org.uk
Petition by residents and visitors of Gloucestershire
We the undersigned request the Gloucestershire County Council, the District Councils of Gloucestershire and the Government not to accept a large scale incinerator as the solution for dealing with residual waste in Gloucestershire because:
• Tackling climate change is a priority and better technologies are available
• It produces toxic fly ash
• It reduces the incentive to reduce, reuse, recycle and compost thus wasting resources
• It could be a high risk, long term, contractual expense for the local taxpayer
• If needed, residual waste should be treated under short term contracts by small local facilities
See Glos Green party policy here.