Here is a blog about voting for Green Presidential candidate Cynthia McKinney (above left) - a former Democrat Member of the U.S. House of Representatives from Georgia's 11th District was the first African-American woman to be represented Georgia in the House. Her running mate for the vice presidential candidate is activist Rosa Clemente (above right).
Greens in the US have just had endorsement from Noam Chomsky who says he'll be voting Green (see here) - as I speak commentators are saying Obama is ahead in the polls - but McCain is hoping for a surge - we should also not forget as noted on this blog the elections are stacked in favour of the Republicans - see here. And that also noted Naomi Wolf believes a coup has already taken place - see here. I wont be waiting up tonight as work is too busty at the mo but I await with great interest the results...
"We have to do things we've never done before, in order to have things we have never had before." Cynthia McKinneyThanks to Derek Wall for this info below:
• Greens promote ten videos of McKinney speaking on major issues; Green leaders stress ‘Green Imperative’ of building a progressive US party
• Obama and McCain don’t represent the views of millions who want real change in US politics; voters who seek a permanent alternative to two-party politics should vote for Green Party candidate McKinney.
Green Party leaders are urging progressive, independent, and antiwar voters to invest their votes in a growing progressive, antiwar party on Election Day 2008 by voting for the Green Party presidential ticket: Cynthia McKinney for President, Rosa Clemente for Vice President.
Greens are making a special appeal progressive, independent and ant-war voters to vote for the ‘Green Imperative’ on November 4. Ms. McKinney is currently featured in ten online videos in which she details her positions on major issues, including corporate bailouts, foreign policy, health care, the rights of Katrina survivors, and the Green challenge to two-party dominance. Links to the clips are listed below.
Green vice presidential candidate Rosa Clemente said: "Millions of Americans who favor the Green Party’s positions on the wars, health care, global warming, and other important issues plan to vote for Barack Obama, who doesn’t share their views. It’s not enough just to defeat John McCain and the GOP agenda. Democrats have retreated over and over and voted for Bush-Cheney policies — war funding, the unconstitutional US Patriotic Act, telecomm immunity, corporate handouts and taxbreaks, the death penalty, record incarceration rates, and a $700 billion Wall Street bailout that doesn’t help working Americans. The only way to reverse the dangerous direction of US politics is to build a real opposition party. Voting for Cynthia McKinney and Rosa Clemente will strengthen a party that’s dedicated to ecological, antiwar, and truly democratic values and doesn’t take money and orders from corporations.”
Greens stressed that votes for the Green presidential candidates, as well as for Green candidates for state and local office, will also help some state Green Parties achieve or keep official party status in their states. For example, Iowa requires 2% in a presidential race to maintain a party’s ballot line, Arkansas requires 3%, and Minnesota and Rhode Island each require 5%.
Green Party leaders said that votes for for the McKinney/Clemente ticket would have an effect after Election Day. Sanda Everette, co-chair of the Green Party of the United States said: “A vote for the McKinney-Clemente ticket is an investment that will continue to pay off as the Green Party grows and challenges bipartisan corporate-money politics in the years to come. A vote for an independent is a valid protest vote, but does nothing to establish a permanent political alternative. The Green Party is a permanent political fixture with the hope of achieving major party status in the coming years.”
Video clips: Cynthia McKinney on various issues, produced by Don DeBar
• Single Payer Health Care http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgBk-6s5Ntw
• Sustainable Investment instead of Corporate Bailouts http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aH5tIi1uejM
• Green Values: Grassroots Democracy, Peace Social Justice, Environmental Wisdom http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fAgjv9uLaI
• Green Party Seat At The Table will invite the Public http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6bn9ooLUvQ
• The Two Party Paradigms http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbN7pR7kDJs
• Restore Our Constitutional Rights http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0c5qEZuqHo
• Rebuild the Economy with Energy Efficient Cars http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3v1VqVb2Z8
• Bring All The Troops Home http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2r2ZBz4tSI
• Katrina survivors right of return http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRYEdh5KBIE
• Oppose Africom http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDGOMY4gNVQ
2008 Green candidates to watch: http://www.gp.org/2008-elections/candidate-news.php
Cynthia McKinney/Rosa Clemente ‘Power to the People’ Campaign for the White House
Cynthia McKinney on video
• BreakTheMatrix.com interview, Oct. 19: http://www.breakthematrix.com/node/28047
• Democracy Now! interview, Oct. 16: http://www.democracynow.org/2008/10/16/breaking_the_sound_barrier_third
• Music video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gx1NPlQjkqo