4 Apr 2008

Call for action to help Ingrid Betancourt

I've just read that Ingrid Betancourt is near death and a French plane is on standby in French Guiana to take her away. I've followed news of her since her capture by rebels in 2002. See my letter to David Drew MP below.

Dear David,

I would be very grateful if you would ascertain as a matter of great urgency whether the Government has intervened on behalf of Ingrid Betancourt prisoner of the FARC guerrillas in Colombia? She is a former Colombian Presidential candidate, for the Green Party, whom President Sarkozy has been making representations for as she also has French citizenship.

Britain remains a very important trader with Colombia which gives us leverage to hopefully bring about a release. You will be aware that human rights across Colombia are in a poor state and that if President Uribe goes for a military solution it could have horrendous consequences.

We understand that Ingrid is now in very poor health according yesterday's report.

Regards, Philip Booth


See BBC report here - I notice she is exactly a month older than me. CORRECTION! As someone pointed out to me after reading this - she is infact 11 months younger - ah well that'll teach me to blog late at night,

1 comment:

Philip said...

David's reply:

Thanks for the email. I'll have to put a written note into FCO as we are now in recess. I saw the pictures and she is obviously in a poor state and the FARC are not known for their leniency and Uribe is a monster.