20 Mar 2008

Parish meeting, Easter Service and mast update

The day started very nicely in Star Anise cafe discussing SDC Regeneration policies with another Green councillor, then catching up on emails before the Randwick School Easter Service and fair then this evening's Parish meeting...read on for more info re that and the latest on the mast proposal.

Photo: Easter Service

The Easter service included a recorder group, the infants choir, singing and a play by class 3 of the Easter story - also it was announced that Head mistress Mrs Montecute has got to the finals in the SW best head teacher competition - huge applause erupted around the church - this was followed by an easter egg hunt - all the school children managed to find one each - then it was a fund raising fair in the school - wind too strong outside - I was once again on the "Play Your Cards Right" stall - at 20p a go we raised £5 on the stall.

Later in the evening I was nearly late for the Randwick Parish Council meeting - 12 residents came and asked questions about the traffic calming proposals and there were several strong objections to the proposed mast - see below. The rest of the meeting I was able to raise issues like grit bins (investigations underway about replacements), watercourse wardens (Parish have now appointed Jane Godsell), free running (my hopes for Stratford Park course and more locally), the cultural services review and more - the Parish covered many other issues - heard from Mort re the great news re the village hall possibly being the first carbon neutral hall in the District maybe even region - anyway they will be writing a report.

Mast proposals

See my blogs on 4th, 11th and 17th March - or click on Label below. Firstly I have to make a correction - a big one - the mast is not where I thought it was!! This is partly because I did not receive the map that others got. In my first blog on this topic I had a photo of the map where the entrance was - I assumed the mast was there - in fact it is much further away - see new map.

Photo: Map of mast site - Ash Lane is still marked there but the mast is in the fields

The good news is that it is further away from homes than I had thought - although we still do not know the direction of the beam - however none of this makes my objections any different. I still do not think it is in the right place - it is still visually intrusive.

This evening several residents made objections - the Parish had had 4 letters objecting but 3 verbal comments saying they did not mind. I noted my objections. When the Parish came to discuss the mast later in the meeting there was a lengthy discussion - noting that health concerns could not really be taken into account - a proposal to object to the mast was not accepted - a counter proposal was put forward - much less strong noting they want to see improvements to the designs (some masts are like trees), planning gain like a foot path and a more attractive entrance.

Photo: Taken from earlier blog - rather than showing mast site it shows changes proposed to the gateway

I was disappointed this was passed although I do not believe it completely rules out an objection in the future. I also emphasised concerns that a new gateway off Ash Lane could lead to people stopping there at night to eat their burgers, drink their lager and whatever else - sadly this occurs at several other similar sites - it would be better to gate up to the road and make vehicles stop in the road and then open the gate.

Anyway we now await Orange's decision - some residents tell me they are still thinking of starting a wider campaign to stop this mast - they are still very unhappy. For now we still want questions answered re alternative sites, direction of the beam etc.

No comments: