28 Feb 2008

Ditch the ward name?

The name of the local Stroud District Council ward for this area is 'Over Stroud' - nobody knows where that is - it is meaningless - in my view it is time that our local communities were more easily recognised. It would seem many others think the same if the initial response to my question about this is anything to go by - but what to call ourselves??

Thrupp Parish Council are trying to change their name to Brimscombe and Thrupp Parish: consultation is underway at the moment. That is easier but we are made up of several areas...

One suggestion is Randwick, Ruscombe and Whiteshill ward? To my mind this is the best option I have heard so far - and one I have used informally - but is difficult - 'Over Stroud' ward as it currently stands does cover most of Randwick but it does not include Lower Randwick - however adding 'Upper' to the name - 'Upper Randwick, Ruscombe and Whiteshill ward' makes it too much of a mouthful.

For me 'Randwick, Ruscombe and Whiteshill ward' is the most accurate and helpful description. It is worth noting that Cainscross ward covers Ebley, Cashes Green, Dudbridge, Westrip, Lower Randwick and much more than just Cainscross. Many other wards are not accurate descriptions but to me this suggestion is loads better than the current "Over Stroud."

This morning I met Cainscross Clerks and a councillor in Cainscross and they were happy to look at the idea of us using 'Randwick, Ruscombe and Whiteshill ward' - clearly they have not discussed at length or taken it to Council. My own feeling is that we would need the support of all three Parish Councils if we want a name change. I've emailed Parishes for their consideration and poss debate - it would also be good to invite views from local residents via the Runner, Warbler and Four Wards?

Anyhow here are some of the responses gleened from emails when I asked about changing the name - listed anonymousy as I did not seek permission to print here - but folk can leave public comments on the comment facility below:

"You have my full support on this. I have always hated the nomenclature 'Over Stroud' which to my mind is completely meaningless and gives absolutely no indication of who - or indeed even where - we are! Upper Randwick, Ruscombe and Whiteshill sounds great. It does what it says on the packet!"

"I could not agree more with you, we are not over stoud, we are Ruscombe, whiteshill and Randwick. So lets get it changed, over stroud has no meaning."

"Why the change? Is it really necessary as these things generate a lot of froth and a name is
only a name after all!"

"Ruscombe, Whiteshill and Upper Randwick ward is a bit of a mouthful? Prefer Randwick, Ruscombe and Whiteshill ward"

"Personally think it is a good idea"

"I would echo (the last persons') sentiments."

"I agree, we live in real villages not in a cloud. The only problem with Upper Randwick, Ruscombe and Whiteshill is there is a likelihood that it will get shortened to Randwick. I don't have a real problem with this as to my mind both villages have a similar nature but I do know that some people get very upset if Ruscombe is missed off of Whiteshill and Ruscombe despite the fact that you can't see the join in the villages. A shorter but less recognisable name would be "Light Wood Ward" as Light Wood is in the centre of the ward, but as it is a wood not a village I am not sure how many people would associate with it."

"Sorry but in my opinion Lightwood Ward is not unacceptable at all - as those of us in Upper Randwick living in Far Westrip, Westrip, Sandpits Lane Ash Lane and even at the top of Foxmoor Lane live nearer to Doverow Woods and the Fuzzies and have no affinity to Light Wood except that it is at the opposite end of of the same Parish. The best suggestion so far in my opinion is Upper Randwick, Whiteshill & Ruscombe As for Upper Randwick being shortened to Randwick what about Lower Randwick Ward which will still continue to exist whatever Over Stroud is renamed?"

"Yes change the name - almost anything better than Uber Strood"

" Names are importtant. Identities are important: they help create communities. I think we need to change the name."

"Yes change it"

"I think that the use of Upper Randwick is too artificial. The villages are called Randwick, Ruscombe and Whitshill. Lower Randwick just refers to the lower part of the parish, there is nowhere called "Upper Randwick". Therefore my vote would go to Randwick, Ruscombe and Whitshill Ward. I would also support this as an enlarged combined parish but this is another issue altogether."

Note there is no suggestion of changing ward boundaries at present although I think that could be useful in future as the current overlaps are unhelpful.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree that a change in ward boundaries would be the best solution. I can never understand why lower randwick is included in cainscross. We seem to not be recognised at this end of the parish (far westrip and Hawthorn Rise, Wardens) by cainscross.