13 Dec 2007

Creator of Cotswold Way steps down

The Cotswold Way runs along the edge of Randwick Parish - last month the Cotswold Way founder and renowned footpath pioneer, Tony Drake MBE, stepped down after 58 years service for walkers.

Photos: View from Cotswold Way

Tony in his various roles at the Ramblers' Association, has been instrumental in mapping the region's footpaths, pioneered a footpath waymarking scheme, helped develop the Cotswold Way, and campaigned tirelessly for better access to the countryside. Tony's motto was apparently: "Look about you when you walk". Great stuff - huge thanks to him for all his work.

The 102 miles of the Cotswold Way only became an official 'National Trail' in May although the plans date back to 1950 and for over 35 years walkers have used the route. The status gained this year means it now has a manager to ensure its upkeep. A couple of years ago I met Jo Roland, the Cotswold Way warden (although not sure what her official title was!) and learnt much about this route - one item that stuck in my mind particularly was the care being given to restore stiles appropriate to each locality - each local area had it's own style of stile! Anyhow read more re the walk here:
www.nationaltrail.co.uk/Cotswold

See my blog on 10th November re the new info board showing the ancient monuments.

Tony Drake MBE was interviewed for the Citizen - here is some of it below:

How did the Cotswold Way start?
I took over as footpaths secretary for Gloucestershire Ramblers in 1949. In December that year the National Parks and Access to the Countryside Act came in. There were no maps showing rights of way so the main provisions were for a survey of them. Scrutinising the maps was a big job and we claimed an additional 300 paths in Gloucestershire. We looked at long distance routes and came up with the idea of the Cotswold Way.

What happened next?
Having produced a rough plan in 1950 it sat in a pigeon hole at the Countryside Commission for a long time. Gloucestershire County Council decided to open a route which contained a lot of road walking. The walk became popular in the Seventies and the Government decided to make it into a National Trail in 1998.

What's your favourite part of the Cotswold Way?
I think it's all interesting. Painswick is probably the most attractive. I enjoy the scenery there. At many points you get a wonderful view across the vale and you can see Gloucester Cathedral, the Black Mountains and the Brecon Beacons.

Have you walked all 102 miles?
I have walked it all but not in sequence. Lots of people do, it makes a good week's holiday.

How did you get into walking?
I was always interested in walking so after the Second World War I joined the Cotswold Rambling Club. I got into mountaineering and spent a lot of time in Wales where I devised a route between Cardiff and Conwy called the Cambrian Way. I'm currently working on the sixth edition of the guide book.

What do you particularly enjoy about walking?
It's the scenery that attracts me and getting some exercise. I like to go places I haven't been before. I'm 84 now and my walks are shorter at the moment, I'm too slow for the organised parties now but I still potter about.

How do you feel about retiring from the Ramblers' Association?
I'm giving up as footpaths secretary for the Ramblers' Association but it's always interesting to see what's been done and if I find a problem I feel obliged to report it.

Were you surprised to get an MBE for your work in 2001?
I don't know anybody else that's had a citation for services to public rights of way, it's most unusual. It was a pleasant surprise but I'm not sure I deserve it.

No comments: