21 Aug 2007

Randwick woods: too dangerous in the rain?

On Sunday the rain was coming down in buckets but I was persuaded that a walk would be good for me. I'd not been up to Randwick /Standish woods for a while - usually a regular visitor - It was therefore my first opportunity to read the warning notice put there by the National Trust.

I don't know if the photo on this blog is legible but it states that people are advised "to keep away from trees during bad weather and very high temperatures". Well the high temps are no problem this summer!!

The notice goes onto say we mustn't dwell under large trees and must keep away from dying trees. I am afraid the rain was so hard that I remained under trees the whole walk - I do want to reassure people that it was a wonderful walk - see my attempt at atmospheric photos accompanying this blog entry - and I did arrived back safely with no incidents.

I can't make up my mind on this notice - is this over cautious- ness? A fear of a growing compensation culture? In fact I read recently we are not turning to the law - certainly the papers love to highlight cases but they really are the exception - so what is this about? Clearly there are risks and maybe people are now so disconnected from nature that they are unaware of them? Certainly I've never seen anything like this before!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm becoming increasingly impatient with such over-cautious dictats! It seems we can't even be allowed a simple stroll in the woods without some soul-less bureaucrat attempting to stifle any element of spontaneous pleasure! Enough of this nanny state; please let us breathe !

Anonymous said...

Walking in the woods is far too dangerous - I hear they might even release wolves into woods in Scotland - seriously stay at home