30 May 2007

Fire at Oldbury nuke today

I've had several phone calls today re the fire at Oldbury nuclear power station - BBC wanting a Green down at Oldbury to interview and other press wanting a comment. Sadly I've been in Cirencester for large part of today so have not been able to oblige - in some ways relieved as I really do not like the TV stuff.

Anyhow I have sent out press release re the fire to local press - see here - it was less than 2 weeks ago that I warned in a press release that there were unacceptable risks attached to restarting this 39 year old reactor after it had been shut down for nearly 2 years due to concerns - I hope that this fire will mean they will reconsider restarting Oldbury. The reactor is already alleged to be the most corroded reactor of its kind in the world. Whatever side of the debate people are on over new nuclear power stations it is clear that restarting is an unacceptable risk.

No comments: