31 Oct 2006

Grace Blanch

Grace Blanch died peacefully on 22nd October at Wyatt House. I never knew her in yet I feel as though I know her. I live in the house which was her family home for some 90 plus years. Grace was born 99 years ago in Primrose Hill and at 18 months old moved into Lark Rise.

Grace attended Randwick School, had 3 younger brothers and after a time at Central School went to work for a Stroud solicitors firm. At 18 on the condition she lived with her aunt she moved to London to work in the Office of the Solicitor General - one of her tasks was to deal with the abdication of Edward VIIth. When WWII broke out she joined the ATS and posted to the ack-ack guns on the South coast. I still have some of her collected "bomb splinters" in a box in the shed.

After the war she was posted to Germany to help with the clear up there then returned to London to work in the Treasury until retiring at 67 back to the Laurels that she renamed Lark Rise - after the larks in the fields and the book Candleford to Larkrise - a book by Flora Thompson who had a real love of the English countryside - infact had to read the book when I moved here - the love of the countryside shines through in her descriptions of the landscape throughout the changing seasons.

Originally it was three novels - that received great critical praise as historical accounts of the economic, social, and cultural life of pre-industrial rural Oxfordshire - they were eventually published under one cover in 1945 as Lark Rise to Candleford. I am told by family that the story had echoes for Grace Blanch's own life in terms of her move to London and return to Lark Rise.

The book is listed as one of the great classics of British nature writing - one of the first 'greens' - indeed Grace was one of the founder members herself of the Randwick Conservation Society which closed a long while back now - she also helped found the Randwick Historical Association where she was the first Archive Keeper - contributing many photos of Randwick School - some of which were later published in "A Century of Change".

Neighbours and others locally have told how they would often meet Grace out walking - on her way to Stroud or just around Randwick - indeed well into her 80s she would set off on long walks.

Grace also loved drawing and painting and several were kindly left behind with the house when I bought it - one I've had reframed and hangs very near where I sit now - we've not been able to establish whether it is of herself or a friend. Indeed I was very fortunate in being able to purshase some of the furniture when I moved here so will often sit in the chairs where she sat - the photo above is of a view down the garden to her wonderful old work shed that I've renovated.

Another interest, judging by her books, was around spiritual matters - some wonderful old and interesting prayer books. I think I would have enjoyed talking and meeting this woman, I ceratinly feel very fortunate to live in her home.

The funeral is in Gloucester on Friday and donations are invited for Randwick Village Hall: to be sent to Philip Ford and Sons, Cainscross Road.

No comments: